At the Hawthorne Gardening Company (HGC) we want our people to
empower more people to garden no matter where and how they choose
to grow. We accomplish this by encouraging people to live happier,
healthier lives through gardening. If you also feel this way then
you'd fit in great with us!
We're looking for Machine Operators to combine raw materials to
produce finished products in our mulch and soil manufacturing
facility in Vance, Alabama.
What you'll do in this role:
- Operate a computer controlled production system for multiple
raw material ingredients that are processed in a mix room.
- Solve daily operations problems with limited supervision.
- Actively maintain good housekeeping standards in their assigned
- Complete daily job checklists & equipment checks/calibrations
to maintain quality.
- Maintain accurate records of raw materials, samples & equipment
- Set up machines at the beginning of shift to ensure proper
- Perform testing procedures to ensure that machines work
optimally during the production procedures.
- Maintain and clean machines before and after each shift.
- Feed information akin to speed, shapes and sizes through the
machine set up box.
- Place parts in semi-automated machines.
- Calibrate machines at the beginning of each shift.
- Recalibrate machines at the end of each shift.
- Monitor machines during every procedure to ensure optimum
- Troubleshoot problems during machine operation.
- Ensure that regular and preventative maintenance procedures are
- Perform random tests to ensure accuracy.
- Perform safety checks on every machine.
- Ensure that machines are producing quality products by managing
periodic checks on output.
- Ensure stocks of needed materials are ready and available at
What you'll need to be successful:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of one plus years of production plant experience is
- Able to identify all materials used, detail oriented, follow
safe practices and procedures, ability to read English and or
- Able to work in a dusty environment, hot/cold/ rainy weather,
lift 50 pounds, and be able to climb ladders and work on their feet
for the entire day.
- Willingness to work scheduled mandatory overtime including
weekends and holidays.
What we do for you (just to list a few cool ones):
- Offer extremely competitive benefits including: Health, Dental
and Vision coverage.
- Fitness Club Reimbursement ($350 individual, $500 family).
- Nutrition reimbursement program (up to $200 per associate and
- First day of hire, 401K match (up to 7.5%) and discounted stock
purchasing program (15% discount).
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion includes employee
resource groups: Scotts Women's Network, Scotts Black Employee
Network, Scotts Veterans Network and GroPride Network, Scotts Young
- 13 SMG paid holiday days and generous vacation policy.
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career
opportunities and learn more about what it's like to work at
Hawthorne Gardening Company by accessing our Talent Network: HGC
The Hawthorne Gardening Company is a start-up company focused on
hydroponic gardening. Dedicated to creating high quality products
founded in social and environmental responsibility. Backed by the
largest lawn and garden company in the U.S. (Scotts Miracle-Gro,
NYSE: SMG) we bring new ideas, values, and culture to our endeavors
without the constraints of a large corporation. We are an
energetic, progressive-minded, sustainability-focused group of
highly-motivated individuals, eager to share our love of gardening
with the world.
The brands and products within our portfolio include: Sunlight
Supply, General Hydroponics, General Organics, Vermicrop,
Botanicare, AeroGarden, CanFilters and Gavita Lighting.
Hawthorne Gardening Company is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a
culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Hawthorne Gardening Company does not accept
unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the
absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval
to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Hawthorne
Gardening Company will not consider or approve payment regarding
recruiter fees or referral compensations.